Though it can be quite exciting to move into a rental apartment in Killeen, TX, searching the perfect one can be quite tough. There might be a number of amenities that you are probably looking for, such as proximity to schools, access to public transportation, specific occupancy etc. In order to find the perfect apartment you will need to visit several apartments before settling on the right one. However, if you go about your search in a systematic way, you can save a lot of time and resources.
Here are some of the tips that can help you search an apartment for rent:
- Set A Budget: Before starting on with your search, the most important thing that you need to do is to analyze your resources to determine a budget. Evaluate your monthly income and expenses to chalk out how much rent you can afford. It is suggested that the monthly rent should not exceed 20 to 30 percent of your income.
- Search Online: You can browse the Internet to search for a rental apartment in your preferred location and area. You can refine your search according to the number of bedrooms, rent amount, number of bedrooms, pet policy etc. that you seek. You can also view the pictures of the apartment both from inside and outside.
- Determine Your Requirements: Make a list of things that you need in your rental apartment. For instance, if you do not have a car, you might want an apartment that is in proximity either to your workplace or public transportation. Also decide whether you want to rent a furnished or semi furnished apartment.
- Inspect The Apartment: When you visit the apartment, make sure you inspect it thoroughly to look for any signs of damage. Check the plumbing fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom, electrical appliances, walls, ceilings, basement and the attic area. You must also take a stroll through the area to examine the security arrangements, lighting, neighborhood etc.
- Understand The Lease: You must not sign the lease agreement in a hurry. Carefully read between the lines and comprehend each and every point mentioned in the contract. You can also take the help of a real estate agent for a better understanding of the lease.
We, at Hunter Rentals & Property Management, provide affordable apartments for rent in Killeen. For more information, you can call us at (254) 634 – 3311.
Investing in a rental property is a fruitful business if you generate a good additional income from it. With the various markets to explore, landlords make every effort to get the maximum possible rent. The best way is to make the rental apartments appealing and desirable by revamping and using the finest appliances and building materials.
Here are some economical tips to get a higher rent for your rental apartment.
- Clean the apartment thoroughly: To attract the attention of prospective tenants and get a good rent, you must spruce up your apartment and remove all the clutter. Paint the walls with a neutral color to make the apartment inviting and new. Ensure that your apartment is free from any bugs and pests. Bathrooms and kitchen are the most crucial part of any house, so make sure that they are clean and germ free.
- Stage the apartment: When a prospective tenant visits your apartment for the first time, he or she tries to envision his or her life there, so it is always beneficial to stage your apartment in a professional way. A professional stager can help you arrange the house in a way that would appeal to potential tenants and land a deal quickly. Besides removing clutter, you must depersonalize your apartment and focus on furnishing that makes the prospective tenants overlook any shortcomings.
- Enhance the curb appeal: Like interiors, it is also important that you pay attention to the exteriors. It is rightly said that the first impression is the last impression, so you should make sure that the exterior walls and door is clean. If you have any potted plants, then they should be well maintained and the outside light should be functional.
- Enhance storage and parking space: There should be enough storage and parking space to enhance the appeal of your apartment. To make your apartment look spacious, keep the things arranged and clean old cupboards, damaged furniture and other things that might be unsightly.
- Have better amenities: To have a competitive edge, you must improve the amenities in the apartment. Check the entire kitchen and other appliances to ensure that all are in working condition. All the basic amenities should be present in the apartment such as power back up, security, adequate water storage, etc.
By using these tips and making sure you set a competitive rent, you can surely get a tenant who is ready to pay the desired rent.
Being a landlord is a rewarding but a challenging experience. Here are some tips that can help you become a successful landlord.
Take the renting business seriously: Some landlords consider renting out a property as a hobby and take the business lightly. This comes across as lack of professionalism and can interfere with the relationship with the tenant. However running the renting business in an organized and systematic manner can improve the success rate.
Do proper tenant screening: You should always ensure that you cross check the tenant details to avoid renting your house to an irresponsible one. This can avoid issues like damages to your home, late rent and costly evictions. You should follow proper screening procedure and get important information about the tenant such as his job, previous eviction records and even verify with previous landlords to know about their experiences. Avoid indulging in racism or discrimination issues, which may put you amid a lawsuit.
Respect your tenant: Make sure your personal feelings do not interfere in your business dealing. Respect your tenant and treat them fairly while respecting their privacy. You must ensure that all their needs are met in a timely fashion to promote a healthy tenant landlord relationship.
Avoid being too lenient: Do not allow the tenant to take undue advantage of your nice behavior and lenient nature. Ensure that the tenant pays the rent on the time, as mentioned in the lease. Allowing the tenant to break the rules once can lead to it becoming a habit, which can lead to financial losses.
Take professional assistance: To be a successful landlord and deal with your property professionally, you should consider hiring a property management firm that can handle all aspects of renting.
Buy liability insurance: To be a responsible landlord, make sure you buy liability and other relevant property insurance. This will ensure tenant safety and you shall adhere to the regulations. Consult your insurance provider for a good offer on the appropriate policy.
Undertake maintenance work on time: To have sound relations with your tenants, make sure you address their problems and undertake any repair work when required. This will also keep your property in the best form and avoid any serious maintenance issues, which are very costly.
Get everything in writing: The details of the terms decided between your tenant and you should be written down to avoid any potential problems.
Following these tips will make renting easier for you and make you a successful landlord.